Interesting. I remember that in order to make development effort faster, we used to make images of our development boxes with all the required software / applications installed on it. This was pre-virtualization era. But with virtualization, it became a common norm and easier. Now Oracle has also started packaging different development stack on a pre-built Oracle VM which one can simply download and start using it.
All you need to do is install VirtualBox to get these pre-built VM's working. Currently Oracle has the following development stacks bundled in a VM with more coming in future -
- Java Development
- Database App Development
- SOA & BPM Development
- Oracle WebLogic Server Hands-on
- Oracle WebCenter Portal Framework 11g Hands-on
- Oracle Solaris 11 Express Developer
- Oracle Solaris 11 Express Network Virtualization
- Oracle Solaris 10 9/10
- Enterprise PHP Development
- Oracle Tuxedo Web Application Server Demo
In a previous post, I had covered the Oracle VM images with pre-installed Oracle Database (10g and 11g) and Oracle RAC (10g, 11g, and 11gR2) software.